Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Pork Stock

I'm going to go a little out of my comfort zone. I have been wanting to make homemade stock to use for cooking and I finally have a day at home to try it! There are a lot of different ways to make homemade stock so it was hard to finally decide exactly what I was going to use. I decide to put everything I read together, (leave a few things out) and wing it. It was suprisingly Here is my recipe for Homemade Pork Stock.

Warning: Your house will smell amazing upon creation of homemade stock. You will have a stronger urge to cook and bake!

Ingredients:
1 pork shoulder bone
1 yellow onion (quartered)
Green onions (cut in chunks)
2 carrots (peeled and halved)
1-2 heads garlic (halved)
Fresh basil
Dried parsley
Handful peppercorns

Yield: approximately 1 gallon - 1.5 gallons (depending on size of bone and desired flavor)

Directions:
1) Place bone in pot, add water to cover 1-2 inches above top of bone.
2) Add all other ingredients.
3) Bring to a boil. Allow to simmer 5-6 hours.
4) Strain out vegetables.
5) Allow to cool, store in the refrigerator over night.
6) Skim any fat off top of stock.
7) Freeze, refrigerate or use it up!

The bone was decent size but I think next time I will add less water and not use the extra strainer piece for my large pot. I would have liked a bit more flavor.

Onions, carrots, garlic.

 
Fresh basil (optional)

Forgot to buy fresh parsley, so I went with dried, not ideal but it worked!
 
Pre-cooked!
 
Just getting started!

After simmering for 5+ hours this is what I had left over. The bone was falling apart at the touch.
 
The finished product, the smell was amazing!
 Plans for the pork stock:
* I used some already in squash soup and crock-pot-chicken.
* Will use in some sort of a meat/vegetable/noodle soup.
* Froze 2 containers (2c each) for uses yet to be determined!

This recipe could also be made 'meatless' by adding extra of each of the other ingredients.

Tonight I saved the bones from a chicken. I am going to wait until I have 2 chicken's worth of bones to try Homemade Chicken Stock. I can honestly say that I will not go back to buying canned or boxed stock/broth. Of course, as most people know, homemade is so much better!

4 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

I've recently become a stock making zealot. I generally save the ends and skins from onions and other veggies, as well as bones and scraps, and put them in a big bag in the kitchen. When the bag is full I dump it in the stock pot and make stock. It's WONDERFUL especially since my food allergies prevent me from using pretty much all pre-made stocks.

shannonseibel said...

I will have to start saving my veggie discards in the freezer, I hadn't thought of saving those, great idea!

EcoCatLady said...

I meant to say that I put the bag in the freezer... not the kitchen... I guess my cooking frenzy has my brains a tad bit scrambled!

shannonseibel said...

Haha, it happens, I knew what you meant! :)