Saturday, October 22, 2011

Drying Seeds

I decided to try my hand in a few more seed drying experiments.  I followed an online tutorial about saving tomatoes and still have apple seeds drying on top of a cabinet.  I love prepping squash for baking, it feels like I am getting ready to carve a pumpkin. I made amazing butternut squash soup and set the seeds aside. I basically followed this with a few minor changes.

Saving Butternut Squash Seeds:

Step 1: Split squash in half.
Step 2: Scoop out seeds and place on a paper towel. Try to get all squash pieces off of the seeds.
Step 3: Spread seeds in a single layer on paper towel.
Step 4: Allow seeds a few days to dry. Flip seeds over once per day to maximize drying.
Step 5: Place seeds in paper envelope, in a air tight jar. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to plant.

My seeds ended up on the floor in my porch for part of a day. They were already dried but I put them outside because it was breezy and I thought it would help them finish up the drying process. A gust of wind whipped through and scattered them all over. This is not a recommended step in prepping seeds for saving...


Aren't they beautiful!?
I love trying new things. As always, I really hope it works. Spring 2012 can't come soon enough!
Post a Comment