Saturday, October 22, 2011

Drying Seeds

I decided to try my hand in a few more seed drying experiments.  I followed an online tutorial about saving tomatoes and still have apple seeds drying on top of a cabinet.  I love prepping squash for baking, it feels like I am getting ready to carve a pumpkin. I made amazing butternut squash soup and set the seeds aside. I basically followed this with a few minor changes.

Saving Butternut Squash Seeds:

Step 1: Split squash in half.
Step 2: Scoop out seeds and place on a paper towel. Try to get all squash pieces off of the seeds.
Step 3: Spread seeds in a single layer on paper towel.
Step 4: Allow seeds a few days to dry. Flip seeds over once per day to maximize drying.
Step 5: Place seeds in paper envelope, in a air tight jar. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to plant.

My seeds ended up on the floor in my porch for part of a day. They were already dried but I put them outside because it was breezy and I thought it would help them finish up the drying process. A gust of wind whipped through and scattered them all over. This is not a recommended step in prepping seeds for saving...


Aren't they beautiful!?
I love trying new things. As always, I really hope it works. Spring 2012 can't come soon enough!

2 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

I LOVE saving seeds! I've had mixed luck with squash seeds because they tend to cross-pollinate rather easily leaving you with lots of um... mystery squash rather than what you necessarily intended.

I've had great luck with snow peas and tomatoes as well. The tomatoes were a total fluke... I just figured I'd try it one year for the heck of it, then after I'd planted all of my little seedlings that I started with my collected seeds, I read that most of our tomatoes are hybrids so unless you use special heirloom seeds it isn't supposed to work. Well.. by that point I'd already planted them and I wasn't gonna dig them up, so I figured I'd just wait and see what happened. The result was the most incredible, abundant and delicious tomato harvest ever! I have NO idea what kind of tomatoes they are/were, but I've been saving seeds from them each year since and always have great results.

Just about the only things that haven't worked real well are cucumbers and peppers. Maybe it is the hybrid issue? I dunno... but I may look for some heirloom seeds and try again next year.

shannonseibel said...

I've heard similar things about peppers, I'll have to watch them closely. I been saving pepper seeds for a few months, figure I'd try them out in the spring, doesn't hurt!

I also saved a type of climbing bean with beautiful red flowers. My grandma has been reharvesting them for over 20 years. They don't taste the best but they have the cutest bright red flowers!