Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Seeds

We received two large gifts of apples from in-law's the end of September and beginning of October. I made 3 pans of apple crisp and froze 24 cups ( the equivalent 3 more pans of apple crisp) to use this winter for baking. Yummo! 

While we were prepping the apples for freezing I decided to keep out 25-30 seeds. These apples are from trees that have been growing on Jeremy's grandpa and grandma's property.  They are sitting above one of the curio cabinets for the next 4-6 weeks, until dried. Even if I get only 1-3 little apple trees to sprout from these seeds it will save us $50+ per tree! 

Currently we have 4 trees currently and I would love to have 8-10. Our property has a lot of Aspen, Tamarack, Pine, and a couple Elm trees but no other fruit bearing. So I will wait ever so (im)patiently while my apple seeds dry.




Only 1 apple tree produced fruit this year. It was enough for Cole to bring with to school 3 times for lunch!

Post a Comment