Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mashed Carrots-Potatoes

This is my new favorite recipe! I've made this at least a dozen times since getting married and as far as I know Jeremy likes it as much as I do. There is a lot of flexibility with this recipe: adding fresh garlic, diced onions or onion flakes, making it with low-fat ingredients, etc. I'm used to 'winging' it when I cook most of the time, but here goes writing it down!  As an added bonus, the 'mashed potatoes' turn out a light orange which adds a nice color to the dinner table. 

Servings: 6

Ingredients:
6-7 potatoes (I prefer organic, yellow)
2-3 carrots (organic)
2-3 tbs real butter
1/4 c sour cream or cream cheese
1/4 c milk
1/4 c - 1/2 c mozzarella cheese
1/2 tbs onion powder (or to taste)
1/2 tbs garlic powder (or to taste)
dash salt/pepper

* Cut potatoes into small pieces
* Cut carrots into small pieces
* Add carrots and potatoes to medium/large pot and fill with water until covered. 
* Boil carrots and potatoes until soft. (approx. 30 minutes)
* Remove pot from stove and strain.
* Add butter, sour cream, milk, mozzarella cheese, powders and salt/pepper to large mixing bowl.
* While hot, pour carrots and potatoes into mixing bowl with other ingredients.
* Using a hand mixer (or potato masher), mix hot veggies with ingredients until thoroughly mixed and whipped, 2-3 minutes.
* Serve hot!

2 comments:

Joanne Angelina said...

Came across your lovely blog and I love it- I will make sure to test this out- sounds delicious. Happy weekend!

shannonseibel said...

Thanks so much! I hope if you try it you enjoy it, have a great week!