Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Repellents


I have found there is really no great way to keep ticks and mosquitos away in Northern MN. Unless of course I take a bath in Off before I go play outside in the gardens. Researching natural homemade method had been on my to-do list since the snow melted but that list was lost, however, a new list was made and the repellents were forgotten...

I was re-inspired by my neighbor, Sarah, to make my own mosquito spray. I am going to have to buy 2 larger spray bottles to try these out, figure out which works best and repost.  I just love trying new things like this. Lucky for me these homemade repellents seem super easy!

Remember, if you haven't tried any of these oils before trying the mixture on a small patch of skin before spraying over your whole body to make sure your skin is not sensitive to the oil and that you're not allergic.

Natural Mosquito Repelling Oils: Lemon, Peppermint, Eucalyptus radiata, Lemongrass, Citronella

Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipe #1-
1. 1/2 tsp. of catnip, peppermint (2ml) or spearmint in a spray bottle.
2. Add 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol and 1 cup of water.
3. Shake well before each use.

Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipe#2-
1. Combine rubbing alcohol (or can use vodka, or olive oil) with an oil listed above or  clove oil, tea tree, cedar oil)
2. Use a 10 to 1- alcohol-to-oil ratio.
3. Shake well before each use.

Natural Tick Repelling Oils: Lavender, Lemongrass, Sage, Thyme

Natural Tick Repellent:
1. Mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water.
2. Add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. (peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks)
3. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair.
4. Reapply approximately every four hours.


 

2 comments:

Queentob said...

I can' wait to see if it works! We are inundatd with mosquitoes!! Where we live we are surrounded by nature preserves. I will not put chemicals on the children and am finding that I am pulling them inside sooner than I'd like..
I'll report back for the results! I have all of these items in house!!

shannonseibel said...

I will let you know! We have a pond in our yard, tons of critters in our woods and a creek through our property... oh and a kiddo :) I hate putting chemicals on him. I'm hoping to try it out this weekend, will repost my results!