Sunday, August 28, 2011

Time for Potatoes!

I finally worked up the courage to dig up a potato. Then four. Then ten. Then I decided to just dig up one row! It worked out better this way. I planted the potatoes too close together to begin with, so each time I dug up one plants worth of potatoes I ended up with the next plant and so on.  I finished the row with a full bucket (beach bucket size), super excited!


Garden Fresh!

We won't have time to eat them right away so I do what I always do, blanch and freeze! I don't have all of the equipment needed or canning yet, but that's okay with the potatoes.  We eat a lot of mashed potatoes in the winter so this will be perfect. I didn't make much from this first row: 2 bags, 1/2 full (1/2 gallon).

Directions:

1) Bring large pot of water to a rapid boil.


 


2) Cut potatoes in desired size.

3) Add potatoes to boiling water. Wait for water to start boiling again; boil for about 3-4 minutes.

4) Drain potatoes.

5) Immediately put potatoes in ice water, let soak for 2-3 minutes.

6) Lay potatoes on paper or cloth towel. Pat dry.

7) Bag em and tag em! Always write the date on frozen produce, never know how long something can get stuck in the freezer!






Done!


My idea for next time would be to add fresh herbs to the bag just before freezing. Less to worry about when I go to use them in a few months!







1 comment:

Susie - secondhandsusie.blogspot.com said...

Yey! What a lot of lovely potatoes! Enjoy them!