Sunday, August 28, 2011

Corny

My family love-love-loves corn on the cob. I realized with my late planting (June 3rd) that I probably would not be getting any from our first garden. I came to terms with this and I planted it anyway.
Take that Mother Nature!

Well I can officially say that I have corn! 
I will not be bragging about the size of the corn, but I think they are beautiful.
 

I know I really shouldn't count it out yet though, we still have a month left of warm(ish) weather. My biggest concern is the night, already getting chilly around 9:00. I will expect frost by mid to late September, so we'll just have to wait and see what these little guys do. If everything goes perfectly we would have 20-25 ears of corn. Perfect amount for my family of 3!

3 comments:

Janet said...

I love sweetcorn too. Nothing like it fresh from the garden. We've got some okay ones in the greenhouse but the outdoor ones are disappointing. Imagine thinking it was warm enough to grow them outside in Scotland!

shannonseibel said...

I bet it would be hard to grow sweet corn in Scotland! It's not so easy here in Minnesota, so cold in the spring and fall. i'm going to try to start them indoors next year to see how that works :)

catharine Howard said...

I love that corn.