Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pinterest Addict (I could quit anytime, I just don't want to!)

Hello, my name is Shannon, I'm addicted to Pinterest.
Wow, it felt good to get that off my chest!

Months and months ago I joined Pinterest, completely unaware of the wrath of pinning and scrolling that was about to be unleashed. I know quite a few people who are uninterested in the whole thing, a few that use it for fun, and a few people like me who pin, and pin, and pin, and pin. It would take me years to make or do my pins, I'd gain 100 pounds if I cooked everything on my 'Bite Me' board, and it would cost me thousands of dollars buying the clothes and other useful(less) things I find amazing and intriguing enough to pin.  I've even gotten to the point where I've gone through and deleted a few of my pins because they aren't up to my current (pin)interests.

The greatest part of Pinterest though, is the amazing amount of gardening ideas I have been able to gather (aka hoard, aka pin). There are so many that I'm going to try to feature one per week, starting today!  There have been ideas that I would have never-in-a-million-years thought of. Also, some ideas that I thought would be great, but never had the instructions to go along with my idea. 

If you're on Pinterest, click here for My Garden board.

Tuesday Pinterest Idea:
Container Potatoes and Vertical Gardening Potatoes

I knew of the idea of using raised beds for potatoes. But these two ideas really made me believe in vertical potato growing and small space gardening.  Last year I planted potatoes and they grew well, but small

Idea 1: Layer soil and mulch with potato seeds in a barrel or large container. Treat like you normally would growing any potatoes and at the end of the summer dump out the container for fresh potatoes!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Idea 2: Using chicken wire, or similar product, make a square or circle using stakes. Add a layer of mulch/soil to the structure with the option of adding straw along the sides, which helps to keep everything in.  As you add more mulch/soil, start layering with potato seeds or sprouts. Keeping the straw along the whole structure will help keep in moisture as well as the mulch/soil and potatoes.  At the end of the summer, remove the wire and harvest your potatoes!

http://urbanfarmerseward.posterous.com/potato-towers-and-living-fence-posts

http://www.hillgardens.com/potatoes.htm

Please visit the links attached to the photos to get all the details on how to build a structure.
All three are great websites and have other great information.
I'll post my photos and how I put mine together within the month (or less).

No comments: