Friday, December 16, 2011

Homemade Suet

I've been researching homemade suet. The cost of suet isn't high, low of $.69 per block. However, our birds can go through a block a day!

For suet we would first need the suet, aka: beef fat, bacon/pork drippings, lard, but making sure 'meat' is removed.  I've also found we can add quick oats, peanut butter, honey,  white or whole wheat flour, unsalted chopped nuts, shelled bird seeds, dried fruit pieces, crushed dried eggshells or oyster shells, or degerminated cornmeal.

I'm hoping this weekend or over the holiday break I can find the time to try out a homemade suet with a few of the ingredients added to the collection of drippings I have saved up. Will let you know what I use and how it goes when I find the time!


Have you made homemade suet for your bird friends??


1 comment:

Sissy said...

I do!! I make homemade suet! I desperately try to draw birds to our yard, but with very little cover, we mostly get house sparrows (yuck) and hawks. So, I pull out all the stops and have made my own suet with lard, of all things!
Great blog you have! Thanks for faveing me on blotanical!