Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Deer, me!

I love-love apple trees. I only have 2 but the deer think they are their trees. So I'm going to either have to set a chair and sit next to my trees all night or figure out a better way to keep the deer away.

Once again there are only a few options to deal with critters. Unfortunately I can't build a fortress around each one until the deer decide to leave them alone. But it is an option.  I had been sprinkling Cayenne pepper or Chili pepper on the leaves and around the base. Unfortunately it has rained twice since the last application and it looks like the deer were at it again last night! There is always the Invisible Fence spray but still not sure.

It's not that the deer don't have any food either, we live in the woods, in Northern Minnesota and there are thousands of flowers, plants and trees blooming at the moment.  I went out and sprinkled again and will put up a picture this weekend of what my poor, sad little trees look like naked.  Needless to say I am looking forward to October when everyone up in this neck of the woods are hunting deer. ;)

Realistically, we will probably end up putting small fencing around the trees and some extra organic mulch.  Will have to wait until next for apples I guess, bring on spring 2012!
 
A little terror on hooves!

 
Don't be fooled by the cute little face! That's a vicious apple-blossom-eater!

 
The family of culprits!

(Okay fine, I love the deer... I just wish they didn't love my apple trees!)

4 comments:

Wicked Gardener said...

You've gotta admit, the deer are kinda cool. If I had deer down here, I'd jump and down. MUCH better than squirrels. Taste better too, not that I'd shoot them. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Made my day!

shannonseibel said...

I'll take deer over squirrels any day! I love watching the deer :)

Anonymous said...

You love your apple trees but it looks like the deer love them too! My mom plants marigolds all around the perimeter of her garden because the smell keeps the deer away, they hate it! Plus its natural. I stumbled across you blog when I read one of your comments on MommyisGreen.net under her entry about Why Organic Cotton. You had said that you had a really hard time finding Twin XL for your son's bed... well, you are in luck! I work for Magnolia Organics, an organic cotton company specializing in organic cotton sheets. We sell many colors and patterns in Twin XL so check us out at www.magnoliaorganics.com and LIKE our page on facebook at www.facebook.com/magnoliaorganics. I wish you and your family the best of luck as you work hard to persue a healthier life. Green ain't easy, but its worth it!

shannonseibel said...

Thanks for the marigold advise! I will have to do that for right away next spring. I checked out the Magnolia site, liked it at Facebook and am trying to decide on a color of sheets to order.
:)