Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Preparing for Earth Day ~ April 22nd


So, what are YOU doing for Earth Day 2011??

April 22nd is Earth Day. Yes, I realize it's a month away but I'm going to start planning now! And I want to challenge everyone to do their part to clean up their little part of our Earth.  It's very simple and can take as much or as little time as you want to put into it.

For our day I am going to give the hubby and the little boy each a bag (and myself).  Bag #1: recyclables and containers, Bag #2: papers and cardboard, Bag #3: plastics and everything else. We're going to wear our gardening/outside gloves and we are going to walk 3 miles or more along our public trail and county road.  Each year when the snow melts there are cans, pop bottles, boxes etc. left behind from the winter. Hopefully we can pick up all of the winter garbage!  I have noticed way too much garbage in our ditches this year, more than last year unfortunately. 

I also plan on taking a walk at work. I will bring a bag and I will pick up whatever garbage I find (with gloves on, of course).

Simple right?! Yes. I will ensure that the garbage around me for at least one day will not end up in a lake, creek, animal lair, play ground, parking lot or cemetery. We do need to remember that these are important things to do not only on Earth Day but every day. It is easy to forget throughout the summer.  Like in years past, Earth Day gives me the kick start I need to get back into the habit of picking up not only after myself when outside, but after others as well.
 
A place for everything, and everything in its place.
 
(I am going to put a list together of area Earth Day activities and post it a week prior to April 22nd) 

No comments: